Sunday, March 20, 2011

Democracy*

I would not describe myself as a "patriot."  I don't fly an American flag or have political bumper stickers that extol the values of American democracy.  Frankly, I often cringe at those things - probably from a dislike of over-simplifying complex ideas into cute 5 letter phrases like "freedom is not a gift."

But, I was reading the New York Times today,** and there was an article about how Egyptians voted yesterday in a referendum to either accept or reject eight constitutional amendments, which are designed to lay the framework for parliamentary and presidential elections in a few months.  And in the article, the reporter interviews a man who was often turned away at the polls under Mubarak's regime and told "You already voted, go home." or "We know what is best for Egypt."  Yesterday, after he finished voting, he said "I feel like I am flying.  It is something coming from deep within my soul."

Despite my patriotic cynicism, I felt a shift within me.  And maybe even a kind of excited kinship with this man.  Ever since the stirrings of the uprising in Egypt occurred, I have had a thought growing inside me that I haven't been able to articulate until now: the promise of democracy is exciting.  It's as exciting as watching Butler defeat Pitt or watching someone place a jenga block on top of a shaky tower without crumbling.***  It's unclear what the next step will bring and it often feels like even the smallest misstep could cause the whole thing to crumble, but that's also what makes it so exciting.

I am tempted to say that it doesn't matter what the outcome of the referendum is in Egypt, it's the democratic process that counts. But that's not really true.  The outcome will directly affect the procedure for how the new government is elected.  Which is actually pretty important.  Especially when you consider how fragile this new democracy is.  So fragile, like Voldemort's name, I hesitate to even use the word for fear it will slip away (or attack me with a death curse).

But, even so, they have embarked on a journey that is both precarious and full of hope.  And very very exciting.


*SIDE NOTE:  While an American flag, an Egyptian flag, or some other kind of relevant symbol of "democracy" probably would have been a better choice than a picture of a cake with the flag of Texas on it, what can I say? I am a woman of contradictions....

**  SIDE NOTE #2:  Yes, I do realize that I have turned into one of those people who now begins sentences with phrases like "So, while I was in line at the local organic farmer's market..."  or "Before purchasing wood based incense from my shaman the other day...."  Now I have added "While reading the New York Times..." to the list.

*** SIDE NOTE #3:  Why the numerous references to "jenga" in the past couple of blog entries, you ask?  No clue.  I don't even like jenga.  It just seems like a handy analogy.

6 comments:

  1. Well, you know, at least you aren't at the stage of saying "While reading the New Yorker...".

    I'm dreading getting to that stage. :P

    -jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not long until you're saying, "While waiting for my organic, home-made Kombucha to ferment...."
    -Karen B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt this way when I was in Iraq and witnessed individuals voting for the first time. There was something almost magical watching people waving their ink stained finger. Of course the cynic in me says that they still haven't formed a working government.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are killer!! Killer right and also killer funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your writing!! You are fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete